Saturday, June 27, 2009

Vacation?????


So...today is the first day of my vacation. Nine wonderful days with only my family in my house. I love my preschoolers...but I have not had a vacation in a very long time. Everyone kept asking where we were going...uhmmmmm nowhere. Honestly we can't afford to go anywhere and I just really wanted to do alot of not too much. So...when I woke up at 5am this morning my head was spinning with stuff and I was very annoyed???!!! I found this upsetting and confusing as it was my first day of vacation and I should be relaxed and happy. So...what the heck?? I got my coffee and sat down to read every one's posts this morning..I can do this today..with no rush. Several posts were about the stress of everyday life, things moving too fast, not enough fun time, etc. A light bulb turned on...I woke this morning and started making a mental list of all the things I had to do before my week was done...am thinkin' this was the sneaky culprit who was pissing me off. Just snuck right in there and took over my vacation.

I know this sneaky guy..the even though you are on vacation..I have a list of things you really should do...if you don't guilt will set in and things will be left undone. Who is gonna do them if I do not, what is going to happen if I.....blah, blah, blah. Yup, do you know him? I deal with this little guy daily, pressure of work, home, my artwork, do the bills, stock the fridge, read to the kiddos, plan projects, plan fun -yikes that should have been a sign right there - plan fun!!!??? Sometimes we all just get wrapped up in the 10K of daily life. Sometimes I get totally burned out & for what ever reason, saying I need a day, or a week, or a month to do...not to much, doesn't happen. But why?? Guilt, assumed responsibility- yes I said assumed, five hundred excuses why we don't stop and breathe. Yup...my slave driver was pushing me to fill my delicious nine days with things to do. I was pissed off because I could see my week quickly turning into a nonstop marathon of stuff to do!! Alot of it good stuff, but most of it stuff that I can do another week..like the week after my vacation.

So...the key here was, what do I really want to do and what do I need to do. Trying to reverse the want/need thing is a toughie but I think I can do it!! I need to go to my U of I appointment & my appointment for a physical, because I can only do that during the week. I need to clean a bit daily, because it will keep me sane. Honestly...that's really all I need to do. I know some of you will say screw the cleaning..but too much chaos makes Sarah a cranky girl. But I will delegate a large portion of it to my rather large household. So....I feel better, thank you for helping me chase off that pesky little guy!! I feel lighter already! I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday. I'm thinking I will...maybe...do not too much and a nap. What do ya think?? Namaste, Sarah

20 comments:

M.M.E. said...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm going on vacation next week and I'm trying to figure out how to bring everything with me. It's very nice to meet another pen and ink artist! I sometimes worry we're disappearing. So, it's wonderful to meet you!

Snap said...

Nap! Drink some tea. Nap! Do some art. NAP! Take a walk. NAP!

Hugs --

Daria said...

Take time for yourself ... as difficult as that may be ... even if it's just a nap or two ... some quiet time alone is always rejuvenating too.

jane augenstein said...

Sarah, I think you should do like the cat in the picture! Flop on your back with arms out at your sides and just rest quietly for a whole day. Wallow in laziness, do all the "other stuff" another day!
I get an hour vacation every day when I ride Gilly in the mornings! It's so great, sigh, the rest of the day can't bug me then, I have that wonderful ride to hang onto.
Occasional laziness is a GOOD thing!
Namaste,
~Jane and Gilly~

Kathryn Magendie said...

Hey -pertaining to your comment on TG blog - have you tried Metrocream for the rosacea? I have it too and that seems to calm the flushing....I also just bought this tea tree oil face wash and it seems to help, too - but I only use it a few times a week.

Enjoy the vacation. I have a problem with want/need, too -- I think women do more than men. A man's vacation would probably be: do whatever I want and whatever makes me happy because I deserve it! women seem to think they do not "deserve" anything much!

Renee said...

Sarah it is your holiday do whatever you want.

By the way the photos are amazing. The children are beautiful and so are you.

9 days holdiays, imagine, woot woot.

xoxoxo

Tabitha the KnittingJourneyman said...

You CAN do it!
Rolfl..just imitate that cat...boy does that look comfy...I'd laugh more except that as soon as we got the a/c installed here our dog camped out right in the middle of the bed, in the same pose...
relax and have some fun-you definitely deserve it :-)

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel!! Doing "nothing" is almost impossible for me unless I am sick. As a matter of fact, I've hurt myself because I had so much to do I missed a step on the deck and fell down. Now I konw I should take it easy so my back will heal before I do permanent damage but I sit her on the sofa, a good book, glass of ice tea and look around at all the things I think I should be doing. LMAO I hope you beat the little guy with a baseball bat and have some fun and rest!!! Here's something that helps me "If this was the last day I had on earth what would I rather be doing, all the shoulds or enjoying the heck out of the day?"
Love ya,
Sherry

Linda said...

Hi Sarah TY for dropping by, Glad you have a bit of time to yourself, pop back, more partying going on throughout the day. Lindaxx

Sarah Sullivan said...

Ok....so I didn't nap yet...went tootling though several garage sales and spent too much money - whoo hoo - lol. Thanks all...Sarah

Christine said...

I love the garage sales. That's a good thing to do while of vacation!

Have a great vacation. My suggestion is to sit outside and read a good book!

Blessings,
Christine

A Palmer said...

Yes, I have vacation coming up in early July and already the "sneaky guy" is trying to weave lots of "important things" for me to do into my days. So you know what I do about that? I schedule ONE DAY to do all of them. Then all the rest of the days are free, free, free! Have a peaceful time off, sis. You deserve it. And yes, you can interview me - just call me.

Tori said...

Not too much and a nap sounds like a good plan!! Enjoy your vacation. =)

That sneaky guy tends to rule my life. I wake up and make my mental list- once that list is done I feel lost! I should probably change that.

OldeAnniePrimitives said...

Hope you get the "need" out of the way quickly and will be feeling as relaxed as that kitty looks! Enjoy your week! ~~Annie

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do...enjoy it!
Cindy

Unknown said...

Girl..you are so right..Enjoy your vacay and do what U want to do with no obligation to nothing except you family and yourself...HUGS sweet friend..

Smiles,
Sonia ;)

Diana Meade said...

It is amazing that everybody has that same little critic and list maker blathering in our ears. I would like to have a volume knob inserted in the middle of my forehead so I could reach up and shut it the heck off. Until that happens, I hope you and I can enjoy our day anyway and just say, thanks for sharing, now go away, I got some playing to do.

Thanks for coming by my tea party at IdaClare. Hugs, Diana

sallymandy said...

I'm so glad you're allowing yourself to narrow down your list. It's wonderful that you know yourself well enough to do that. I truly believe we're better for everyone when we take care of ourselves.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Holly said...

So, next day of your vacation, how are you feeling now, My Dear? Can you hear your breathing? Can yo wiggle your toes?

Yeah? Good!

Brightest Blessings said...

I think you need to take the cats lead on this vacation. Seems he has the right idea of what a vacation should be. Enjoy it, it will go very quickly.
BB
Dede